Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Series: Women Living Well - Chapter 2

No Time For A Quiet Time

If you are anything like me, you need a plan of attack for your quiet times with God. I was struggling with the best plan for my quiet times. One of my closest friends introduced me to a valuable resource on biblestudytools.com, where you can select various different Bible study reading plans AND check them off as you complete them!!

Fitness is a large part of my life. My husband and I have a gym membership and this has been an activity we enjoy together on his days off from work. I have always struggled to find a consistent time for my quiet times so I decided to use part of my treadmill time for my quiet time with God. I downloaded the Life Application Bible App to my Ipad and am able to pull up my reading plan on my browser. While I walk on the treadmill, praise music is blasting through my earbuds and I spend valuable quiet time alone with God as I read His Word and talk to Him.

Luke 5:
12 While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." 13 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him. 14 Then Jesus ordered him, "Don't tell anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them." 15 Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 

1. Jesus offered a hand to the man.
2. Jesus touched the man.
(Keep in mind, just the act of Jesus' willingness to touch and be near the man with leprosy would have been seen as radical in his society.)
3.Jesus told the man to keep the miracle to himself.
4. Jesus told the man to go to the priest to offer sacrifices for his cleansing.

Jesus engages and serves people as he comes across them in his everyday life. He takes the service opportunities as they come and helps each individual as he comes to them. Very rarely does he help the masses.

Each of us has our own circle of influence as well as individuals we cross paths with in our everyday lives. We need to try to slow down and not miss these divine opportunities to be Jesus to others. All of us have been given family, friends, and some of us husbands and children to care for and serve. In order to best serve our loved ones and others we come in contact with, we must take time to devote ourselves to quiet times with God. Our relationship with God is our most important relationship and will refresh and revitalize us in order to be a light to those around us.

Luke 5:
16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Jesus knew the value in withdrawing to a quiet and solitary place to pray. This is another way He is providing us with an example of how best to pray and spend quality time with God. He knew this alone time was vital in order to be refreshed and renewed. Once again, He provides us with an example of how vitally important our quiet times are to our spiritual health. In order for me to be the best wife I can to my husband and a light to those around me, I NEED to make sure I am making my quiet time a priority each day.

THINK ABOUT IT:
On a separate piece of paper, a note card, or a notes app on your phone, write out a prayer of commitment to the Lord about spending time connecting with Him each day. If the Lord Himself needed time alone, we do too!

In Christ,
Arin









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...