Monday, June 9, 2014

Book Series: Women Living Well - Chapter 1

I Want The Spa, But I Need Solitude With God



When I think about solitude, I think of a remote beach, curled up on a beach chair, with nothing but ocean waves for background noise. Last summer, my husband and I had the opportunity to spend the week in Maui for our honeymoon. It was so easy to relax and stay focused on time with each other when all the distractions of life were removed. However, real life is full of distractions. We must learn to put those aside in order to devote time to our families and our relationship with God.

Another place which comes to mind when I hear the word solitude is the library. Libraries have always been some of my favorite places. During my years at Johnson Bible College, my work study assignment was in the basement of the library, on the periodicals/archives floor. This proved to be the ideal study spot (once my list of assigned projects for the day were complete). My desk was my little oasis in the midst of a busy college campus, and provided the perfect quiet spot for study and reflection. My favorite spot for quiet times with God or for writing one of many assigned research papers was a solitary desk in the far corner of the upstairs floor of the library.

Time is my biggest hindrance in having a consistent quiet time. For me, exercise is a discipline I do 5-6 times a week. Since this is something I do almost every day, I make part of my treadmill time my quiet time with God. I plug in my earphones, blasting praise music and meet with God. I read His Word and I talk to Him.

Hebrews 11: 
5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 

Wow! One of the things I love most about God, is his concern for individuals. God wants to know each of us intimately and takes great delight in all the details of our everyday lives. God took such delight in Enoch, He decided to bring him to heaven early.

Hebrews 11:
6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

1. We must have faith.
2. We must believe that God exists.
3. We must earnestly seek God.

I don't know about you, but I love to-do lists. Sometimes I even write things on my list which I have already completed, just for the shear pleasure of checking them off! Anyone else?

Marriage is teaching me to set things aside in order to spend quiet moments with my husband. It is very hard for me to leave dirty dishes in the sink or unfolded laundry in the dryer, but I am learning to do this in order to seize quiet moments with my husband. I need to learn to do this more with God, as well.

Life can be so busy and full of noise. Unless we slow down and intentionally find a quiet place, we will never hear God as clearly as we need to. If we want to know God more, we must look to create quiet moments where we can actually hear God's voice.

THINK ABOUT IT: 
How could you begin to intentionally slow down to create calm moments so you can hear from God over the noise of the world? What are some practical ways you could create space in your life for your walk with the King to flourish?

In Christ,
Arin








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...