Monday, January 21, 2013

Menu Plan: Winter (Jan. 20-26)


     This is a busy week for us, so we're utilizing cooking extra portions for leftover meals during the week. At the end of the week, hubby is treating me to my favorite meal for my birthday. Wee!

Strategies we used this week:

  • As usual, we split our meals by preparing half meat and half meatless. This stretches our budget by reducing the greatest food cost- meat. Plus, it balances our preferences (hubby could eat meat at every meal, but I'd rather not). 
  • Taco filling (beef, tofu, fish etc) can be frozen and makes an excellent quick meal
  • We only used half a whole chicken last week in making Chicken and Dumplings soup, so we have the only half shredded and ready for use this week in Chicken Salad Sandwiches
  • Using seasonal produce such as acorn squash


Breakfasts
-Green Smoothie (upcoming recipe post)
-Eggs, fruit
-Oatmeal
(pretty much whatever I come up with each morning. I'm kind of in a breakfast rut. haha)


Lunches
- Pork Chops with grapes, beans, potatoes/rice
- Eggplant leftovers
- leftovers
- Tacos
- B-day meal leftovers

Dinners
- My birthday meal! Meatloaf, pinto beans, cornbread, scrambled (fried) okra, mac & cheese. yum!
- Chicken salad sandwiches (using shredded chicken in our freezer)
- Spinach-stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, carrots, barley
- Acorn Squash Soup
- leftovers

Snacks
- Veggies: celery, carrots
-Fruit: grapefruit, pear, oranges, apples, bananas, grapes (Clearly, I love fruit! haha)
-Seeds/nuts: sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans
-birthday cake hubby is making for me! (Yep, I feel special because I know it's going to be epic :) )
- homemade crackers with peanut butter or cheese slices




*Note: Reviving Homemaking is not affiliated with Eating Well and was not asked to include or recommend them or their recipes in this post. (I simply like what they have to offer!)

Linked up at:
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...