Thursday, July 31, 2014

Book Series: Women Living Well - Chapter 20



Discipline and Diligence: 
The Proverbs 31 Woman

The Proverbs 31 woman was to serve as a model for King Lemuel in his future search for a wife. Although the Proverbs 31 woman was not a real women, she could exist--these characteristics are not unattainable. It is comforting to me to realize she did not necessarily do all of the activities listed all in one day. Whew!

I must admit number six on Courtney Joseph's list of what a wife of noble character does not look like: "she does not spend her days doing leisurely shopping, texting, emailing, Web browsing, watching movies, and sleeping in" most convicts me. I am not currently working outside the home and we do not yet have children; thus, the demands on my time are not many. However, I have a responsibility to make better use of the extra time God has given me in this season of life.


My mom was an excellent homemaker. She spent a lot of time devoted to teaching me homemaking skills. However, I was not overly interested in acquiring these skills until I began living on my own. I am becoming more confident in my homemaking skills, but still have so much room for improvement. Cooking and cleaning are two areas I am fairly confident in, but still growing in. Meal planning and canning/preserving are two areas I have been learning/growing in most recently.

Once we move into our house, I am hoping to plant a vegetable and herb garden which will hopefully help us to cut costs in our food budget. I still continue to look for ways to cut our food budget, as this will prove even more important once we add to our family and food costs go up.

Colossians 3:
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
If our aim is to serve God, and we give it our best effort, our efforts are not in vain. We are not dependent on the affirmation of others to recognize our hard work. God sees us and notices the work of our hands. With this perspective in mind, I feel it would change my attitude towards my husband and help me to be more content in the managing of our home.

THINK ABOUT IT:
You’ve come to the close of this book. What is the one major take-away you have learned? How do you want what you have learned to alter your actions as a wife and/or mother? May God bless you as you serve your family and as you continue to walk with the King!

Thank you to Whitney for inviting me to guest post this summer on her blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first experience in the blogging world.

Recently Whitney visited our home, along with her husband and new baby. This was the first time we had seen each other in 5 years. The visit was short, but sweet. Here is a picture of the two of us in our home before they headed over to their hotel for the night.




In Christ,
Arin




*Note: Reviving Homemaking is not an affiliate of www.womenlivingwell.org or the publishing companies (Thomas Nelson & HarperCollins Christian Publishing). No compensation has been received by either of these entities for the review of the book. All opinions are my own. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...