Monday, December 23, 2013

Menu Plan: Winter (Dec. 15-21)


      I forgot to post last week's menu plan. The week flew by before I realized that I had neglected to post a menu plan. Since this week is rather atypical with it being Christmas week I thought I might jump back by posting last week's plan. 

      There is now a photo album on the RH Facebook page just for food photos. If you like to see a photo of a dish to judge whether you want to try it or not, then follow the link to view the album. (I tend to like recipes & cookbooks that include lots of photos). Let's be honest, some dishes are just too pretty to not take a picture! ;) 

      I've also started pinning lots of recipes we use onto a "Food" Pinterest board. Many of the recipes listed below can be found there as well. 

Strategies

  • We began by reviewing several of our previous fall menu plans for ideas. I like to keep my menu plans because they provide a great resource for meal ideas that are seasonal and cost-effective. In the front section of my recipe notebook, I have a section labeled "planning" and this is where all my previous menu plans are stored. Keep it simple! 
  • Even though we plan a meal for each day, we don't always stick to the plan. Hence, several of the meals listed this week were also listed last week. The main idea of menu planning is to have an idea and ingredients on hand for when you may need them. If we don't get to one of the planned meals, we simply roll it to the next week. When we shop for that next week we have a few less items to purchase, so it works out pretty well. 
  • I love soups during the chilly months of the year! (We'll do big salads instead during the warmer months). Soups are wonderful in that they are usually pretty cost effective, fast, and provide plenty of opportunities for leftovers or freezer meals. They are also great for being able to toss anything else desired into the pot. I rather like to chop up some leafy greens to throw into a soup to give an extra nutritional boost. I may also toss in some extra beans. Pretty much anything goes! :)


OUR MENU PLAN FOR THIS WEEK

*Note: I include links to the recipes if they are available online. Some recipes are from cookbooks we have at home, and while I can't share the recipe I can direct you to the source. Other dishes or meals are created by myself or my husband, and we can do our best to explain how to recreate it. If you'd like additional information on any of the meals or our menu planning, then please feel free to contact me. :) 

Breakfasts
- Blueberry Cornmeal pancakes, fresh squeezed orange juice
Granola cereal with milk, grapefruit
Cottage cheese parfait (cottage cheese, mixed berries, granola)
- Apple-cinnamon oatmeal (oatmeal cooked with diced apples, topped with cinnamon and toasted chopped walnuts)
Granola cereal, yogurt with bananas and blueberries
- Eggs, bacon, biscuit/toast

Lunches
Tomato & olive pizza (leftovers from last week) 
Pot roast & veggies (cabbage, potato, onion, carrots)
- Salmon cakes, roasted asparagus
Minestrone soup (First, I love Ellie Krieger recipes! They are so nutritious! I will probably do some substituting though. I'll probably use a bag of frozen mixed veggies and add chickpeas just because I have these on hand and..why not. haha). 
- repeat soup
- Sweet & sour pour, brown rice (from recipe book listed above)
- repeat lasagna & side salad 

Dinners
Chicken stew with turnips, mushrooms and greens (leftovers from last week). 
-Eat out while finishing Christmas shopping
- {Small group gathering} We are hosting the Christmas party and so will have easy appetizer foods. We will provide trays with crackers, cheese slices, summer sausage, baby carrots, celery sticks, broccoli florets and hummus and honey mustard dips. Everyone is to also bring an appetizer or holiday dessert. Should be yummy!
Pot roast & vegetables turnovers (recipe/instructions to be posted on the blog soon) 
- Lasagna & side salad (lasagna recipe to be posted on the blog soon)
- repeat salmon meal
- repeat pork meal

Snacks
- apple & peanut butter
- cheese slices & whole wheat crackers
- carrot & celery sticks with hummus
- hummus and ww crackers
- hardboiled egg & pickle (my weirdo pregnancy snack)
- cheese slices and pretzels
- banana & peanut butter
- oranges and/or grapefruit
- almonds
- popcorn
etc. 


*Note: Reviving Homemaking is not affiliated with any of the sites or companies included in the links, and was not asked to include or recommend them or their recipes in this post. (I simply like what they have to offer!)

What's on your family's menu plan this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...