Monday, August 1, 2011

A New Take on Shampoo and Conditioner


Shampoo: 1 tbsp. baking soda + 1 c warm water
Conditioner: 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar + 1 c. water + dropps of essential oil (as you'd like)
     
     Replacing your shampoo and conditioner with homemade versions may sound rather nutty, but I love the switch and would highly recommend doing so. It cleans well and saves money.
    
Cost Savings
       My definition of frugality is to come to depend on consuming less purchased products. Therefore, I try to focus on maintaining my home with mulit-use products. The "shampoo" consists of water and baking soda. I already use the baking soda for an all-purpose cleaner, dishwasher detergent and cooking. The conditioner is vinegar, water, and essential oil. I use vinegar in an all-purpose cleaner, laundry softener and cooking. The essential oil, used to mask the vinegar smell, is also used in a rice heating pad and carpet freshner. I sinply use the products I already stock in my home to make my own shampoo and conditioner and by doing so save myself from having to buy the single purpose items of conventional shampoo and conditioner.

Cleaning
      Occassionally I get in a hurry and don't pay as close of attention to making sure I rinse all the shampoo out of my hair. The result is an itchy scalp the rest of the day. Thankfully, the baking soda & water solution will not have the same effect. If a bit of it remains unrinsed in the hair, it isn't noticable. The "shampoo" doesn't sud like conventional shampoo, but is still easy to apply and work in. Conventional conditioners require careful selection because most of them have a waxy component, which is not good for oilier hair such as mine.  The vinegar solution "conditioner" will add a smoothness and shine to the hair without leaving a waxy residue. Both require leaving them in for a minute before rinsing (just shave a leg in the meantime. hah).

Anyone else have some great personal care recipes?

***************************************************************************
Don't foret to "Like" the RevivingHomemaking Blog page on FACEBOOK ! :)

9 comments:

  1. Huzzah, great post! I'm "Evernote-ing" this one. Once my fancy-schmancy shampoo/conditioner are gone I'm doing this to save some dough. I loooooove essential oils, so I'd probably add some invigorating basil or something like that to the mixes. Maybe a basil mint or something. I have several E.O. recipes on my blog. Just posted about peppermint oil (again). It's my fav multi-purpose E.O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this, Whitney! I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! I have been trying to use more "natural" products (soap, shampoo, etc.) but they are all so pricey! Looking forward to giving this a try! :)

    Have a blessed day!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have these ingredients! yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a GREAT natural recipe for shampoo! I'd love you to share this on my recently new link up for sharing healthy ideas, tips, going "green" suggestions, etc. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have tried and use the No Poo Method. I love it. Thanks for sharing with Domestically Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this for a long time...but I ended up really missing the suds. I switched to an organic/free of nitrates and all the nasty hair stripping shampoo that had tea tree in it to help treat my terribly dandruff. I actually switched thinking it would help with the dandruff, but turns out I have a skin condition, and only medicated shampoo really 'helps.' Oh well, it was worth a shot, and my hair actually did look pretty good.
    So for recipes--I used to add some honey and lemon juice to the apple cidar vinegar. They are both good for the hair and smell good. My husband went to drink it one day thinking I had made him lemonade (woops!). I would occasionally add tea tree oil to the baking soda to help w/ the dandruff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am enjoying experimenting with making my own shampoo. I use the same ingrediants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, found you thru IHeart Organizing when you commented on my computer armoire last week. Thank you! I am going to have to try this for my hair. Thanks for the frugal tips. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan too (I see his book is on your list in the sidebar).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...